Friday, April 24, 2009

Keeping In Touch...Yikes

It may not look like it, but I have been spending quite of bit of my time trying to fine-tune my blog. It's totally new to me. All the different subtleties are fun to work with most of the time, but it is a huge time waster figuring it all out. There are so many different sites trying to get me to put their crap on my blog! Most of the stuff doesn't even work. Even more stuff has very large advertising pinned to it. And almost all of it is extremely female oriented. Maybe the whole thing isn't even worth the hastle. How many people are actually interested in what I have to say anyway? This whole project is more about me than anything else; so this must be my most conceited work ever.

Also, I have the whole Facebook thing going on too. Now that is something a person can really lose themself in. Facebook is like the black hole of the world wide web. Many go in, and few come out. Plus, people have Twitter. I haven't even looked at that one. I don't need it. Or MySpace either. How many different ways are there to keep in touch? It's mind boggling!

There is so much money getting thrown around in just trying to keep people connected or getting them connected in the first place. Don't believe me? What about eHarmony.com? Aren't there a dozen or so companies trying to play matchmaker now? It is starting to make me sick. Can't people socialize anymore? Are all of our people skills totally worthless, or are we all becoming so cynical that we don't believe that we can find someone to love in our own backyard?

Obviously, I am somewhat hypocritical when it comes to this. And, I'll let you in on a little secret...I own a cell phone too! I know. I know. The shame of it. But, truth be told, I like to be able to reach out and touch someone (definitely NO pun intended there) just as much as the next guy. But, really, there should be a limit. There should be some line somewhere in the eBible which says, "Thou shall not commit over-friending." I don't know. Something like that. Maybe, "Thou shall only be friends with those you intend to actually be friends with." Have you ever noticed how someone can have like 500 friends? Is that even possible? How can someone possibly be friends with a number like that? Between birthday presents, break-ups and trying to remember everyone's name you have no money, no time and no room in your brain. To these people I say, "Give it up! It's NOT a contest...freak!"

Anyway, don't know why this came up, but gotta go check my email, goof around with widgets and play Mafia Wars on Facebook.

2 comments:

pel923 said...

James - I've got to say - these are some of the bravest and most thoughtful words I've heard spoken by a parent -especially a parent that is, in my universe (i.e. as compared to me) still very young.
The bravery is knowing that you don't know everything and that you're scared. The thoughtfulness is, for me, realizing that you are trying so hard not to have knee-jerk reactions (as many parents do) and that you've actually taken the time to observe and realize how different each one of the kids are and that you have to parent them all differently according to who they are and what their needs are. That doesn't mean that you don't have structure and rules as a family, but it looks like you've been working hard to find a way to communicate and parent each child in a way that works for all of you and that takes guts, courage and a willingness to meet your children halfway, which is an extremely good example for you to set for any parent twice your age.
I have seen the change between you and Savanna...I, being the last person to probably have a sane conversation with you about this subject. But it's interesting to hear your viewpoints and what you have to say about her - I know that you were young when you got married and taking on a female toddler who was, previous to you, the center of her mother's universe (and most of the rest of us)probably seemed like an insurmountable obstacle at the time.
Savanna, as you know, has one major thing in common with Holli and that is her unbelieveable strength and strong will. The boys, actually, are actually no slouches in that department either, so you definitely have a tremendous challenge to assume leadership and maintain the leadership of a family of basically pretty dominant personalities.
I just wanted you to know that I have seen and acknowledge the growth, the maturity and the willingness in you to do the best job that you are capable of to be a good provider, husband and parent
and I have grown to respect you and have my own certainty and trust in you that whatever decisions you make, you will always have the best interests of my daughter and my grandchildren at heart. That's all I can ask for and that's all I've ever wanted - for all of us. :)

Andersons and sons said...

I think it is a lazy way for relationships....I know I got my space and twitter...and now a blog..geesh..